Thursday, July 18, 2013

Heartbeat!

Yesterday was a big day. We saw the heartbeat!

Look! A vague tiny blob!
Okay, now that I've done the obligatory "wow!", I can tell the truth. Because this is my blog and I can whine if I want to.

The actual heartbeat appointment was very, very anticlimactic.

I feel guilty even writing that, because I know I should be grateful beyond belief to have a growing little embryo, and believe me, I thank my lucky stars each and every day. I thank the universe that after all my failures, luck finally shone down upon me. I tam thankful that I had the money to pay the ridiculous costs involved in this (buh bye, the better part of our savings from four years of marriage), the perseverance to keep moving forward, and the support from my husband to do donor egg.

BUT all that being said, I had a shitty visit to the clinic yesterday. I was so nervous that my knees were knocking when I got onto the table, and they made me wait a long time. Then the nurse practitioner came in, followed by a woman I'd never set eyes upon before. She apparently was an ob/gyn fellow, and had never given a transvaginal ultrasound before. Lovely. She messed with the wand a lot (ouch...) and had trouble using the controls. She showed me the heartbeat, at which point I burst out into relieved tears, but then she commented in an off-hand matter how "next week we expect it should speed up." Ummmm??? Are you saying it's not fast enough now??? I never did get a straight answer, except she also told me the measurements lead her to think I am a day behind (though she also said that doesn't matter, this early in the game).

In fact, she was having such trouble with the machine that the appointment quickly became all about her, and nothing to do with me and my husband. In fact, she even asked B to turn off the video camera, because maybe then she'd be better able to find the heartbeat again (uhhh, are doctors supposed to get performance anxiety still???).

There wasn't much more to it. They said "congrats" and told me they'd probably see me back in about a week. At which point I felt about to cry. I was under the impression that it was one ultrasound and then I'd be released.

Later, my friends reassured me that two or three are normal. I guess I was really jumping the gun, thinking this was my last visit to the clinic. Thinking I'd not be "high risk pregnancy with a history of infertility" for much longer.

The heartbeat checkup, therefore, was very anticlimactic. The little flickering light was cool, but it was sadly overshadowed by the doctor's incompetence, her offhand worrisome remarks, and my growing anxiety as the appointment went on. By the end, I had convinced myself there was something wrong.

Of course, nothing is wrong. My doctor in Atlanta told me the scan is excellent, and I'm right where I should be. I go back in two weeks for another one, then a final one at 10 weeks, and only then am I released. Another friend confirmed she had FOUR scans before being released, so I can relax now and the gratitude is seeping back in.

All of this is just so very hard. You think a positive pregnancy test is the end, but it's not. My friend who got pregnant the old fashioned way has a first doctor's appointment at 10 weeks. By ten weeks I will have had three beta blood tests and three early ultrasounds. I will have survived being "high risk" and I will have poured thousands of dollars of progesterone and estrogen into my body. But, I will have a baby. I need to calm down, breathe, and try to enjoy this period of my life. Somehow.

5 comments:

  1. My lord! That makes me want to punch someone in the face. I'm sure you are golden, but those off-hand comments are the worst---some don't know the power they have, how careful they need to be with us women who have been through so much. I'm glad your Atlanta doc is saying things look excellent. Sorry you had to go through all that prodding and anxiety. It really is the never-ending story sometimes. But there is an end--birth of le bebe. thank you for being invaluable support for me today---I needed it so---and in the middle of dealing with your own stuff. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. eep! That doctor sounds like she needs a tutorial on how to use one of those wands. Congrats with the heartbeat & hold on! Just a few more weeks of the progesterone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh NO... Here you think that it will be awesome to be pregnant and a good experience and this lady with her inept wanding and horrible bedside manner ruins it! I hate when people say things that make you think, "Wait, what? Does that mean something is wrong? Or are you just completely insensitive?" I am glad you saw a heartbeat, sorry your doc was an idiot, and hope the next appointment is more of the "wow!" experience you were hoping for. I think I'm the opposite of you--I am planning to stay at my clinic as long as they will let me because I am terrified of being let loose to the "normal" ob/gyn. Of course this is all hypothetical at this point but I am going to do a sit-in if they try to graduate me early! :) I hope your graduation day comes soon and you can breathe easy, no longer feeling so much of the weight of "high risk/history of infertility." Yay for heartbeats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. visiting from ICLW - Congratulations! So excited for you! So glad you were able to see the heartbeat. I am sorry you had to deal with an incompetent resident or fellow. unfortunatly that happens a lot in July at teaching hospitals across America, as MDs graduate and become residents and residents become fellows and 2nd year med students start their rounds! Lots and lots of first time experiences and sometimes we are on the reciveing end of some "learning"! Hopefully they will have it figured out next time - but don' be afraid to ask for soemone with more experience! And congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All going okay? I'm thinking about you.

    ReplyDelete