Wednesday, February 1, 2012

IVF Ahead

Today we met with Dr. F.

We are out of low intervention options.

We discussed gonadotropins versus IVF and are taking a few days to think about, gather financial details, and come to a decision. However, I think we've already decided to jump right in and go with IVF. The injections only have a 10% success rate the first time, a cumulative 19% success rate with two cycles, 27% success rate with three, and 34% with four cycles. At that point, we'll have spend $6000-12,000 on injectables, and then still have to do IVF. And of course there is the emotional toll, with the amount of money meaning the stakes will feel every higher.

IVF will run us around $18,000 plus meds ($2500-4000 additional). NOTE: These are not accurate figures. It ended up being much less, since we went with a package from an outside company.

That's the UNC pricing, with the 2 fresh and 2 frozen option. The clinic in Cary has a cheaper plan but if I need every other day ultrasounds, it might not be a feasible option.

Clearly, I need to do more financial research. I have left a voicemail for the business manager at UNC, and I have also called a counselor who specializes in fertility issues. I'm going to need all the support I can find. And I will do one more session with the acupuncturist and then decide whether to stick with him or switch.

And then, decision time. And, talk to dad time.

And then, we see what happens.

This is going to be my life for the next few months. I am still somewhat in shock. Although I've had a feeling it would come to this, I never knew it really, really would. I don't even know what to say, except I am so nervous and scared and nervous and scared and just.... bad.


No comments:

Post a Comment