Friday, August 30, 2013

First trimester screen

Today was the big day- we got to see the most of the baby yet! More than any blurry image at the fertility's doctor's (though those were cool too), this time it really was like a real baby. It kicked it's little legs, it waved it's little arms. It was really cool, and the sonographer gave us a guided tour for about half an hour. We saw brain, heart, lungs, ribs, placenta, etc.

Still a baby. Not a kitten. 
Several pieces of good news: combined with the blood work I did two weeks ago, the results of this ultrasound place us a in a very low risk category for Down Syndrome and Trisomy 18/13. I told them about using a 23 year old donor egg, and that placed us in an even lower risk category.

The other good news is that the placenta appears to be in the right place. Of course they'll check again at 20 weeks, but with the bleeding I've been having, the midwife did mention the risk of placenta previa. The sonographer does not think that is the case. And the midwife did more strongly think it was my cervix. I bled a lot yesterday afternoon, which was actually kind of reassuring, since she'd touched my cervix, so that furthered the feeling it's just my overly sensitive cervix causing the spotting. In any case, I have not had ANY spotting in about 24 hours now, so I am extremely grateful for this too.

Okay, on to the not as good news. The sonographer thinks, with about 70% certainty, that I'm having a boy. It's hard to describe why I am not presenting this as good news. I guess- I just almost don't want to know. I thought I did, but somehow now I feel like a bit of the magic is gone. I know it's too early to know for sure, but I wish I had not asked. Oh well. I'll just try to put it out of mind for the next seven weeks. And if I still don't want to know then, I can always ask not to be told. I thought I'd want to know... but now, it feels so real. I want this baby so badly that sometimes I want to fast-forward through pregnancy and be holding the little one already. I need to work on slowing down and enjoying.

Maybe if the spotting stops, I can relax and try to enjoy. I think having an IVF pregnancy, after so many troubles, has kind of scared me. It's taken away any oblivious, carefree attitude that I might have had. Or maybe I would always have had worry. I just still struggle with a deep mistrust of my body and it's ability to do what comes naturally to so many others.

But. But. I am being a brat. Even my lab slip said "normal first pregnancy." I made it to 13 weeks. The risks of Down's are low. I think I would like to slowly ease back into exercising and enjoying. That's my goal for this next month: exercise, relax, eat well, and try to allow myself some excitement.

[Ok, this was a really boring update. Sorry. I'm just a hormonal mess today.]

2 comments:

  1. yea yea yea and congrats!!!! :) Remember-- "normal first pregnancy!" That's you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOD THAT'S A BABY!

    I can't tell you how moved I am to see this little profile. This is really just unbelievable. There's your baby. Can't believe you are at "guided tour" stage. I am so happy for you. And all the tests went so well. Congratulations!

    I wonder if the spotting has anything to do with the Crinone---I've just read a few things online about the Crinone sometimes causing cervical irritation/spotting. (I know you're off of it now, though.)

    I totally understand your mixed feelings about gender revelation. I go back and forth on this one a lot. DH definitely wants to know the sex beforehand, but I'm not so sure I do. But then I think I won't be able to restrain myself from asking. I've read somewhere that IVF babies are more often boys than girls, and I kind of wish I'd never read that (I don't even know how true it is---you never know where stuff is coming from online). Anyway, no matter what you'e got yourself a healthy one, it sounds like, and you are on your way to a lovely remainder of your pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete