Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Day 5: Not a Good Day

Yesterday I got bad news. At 3:45 pm, the nurse FINALLY called me back with my blood work (probably though  not definitely because I sent a worried email to her right before that). Since I started on 225 IU of Follistim, instead of 175 like last cycle, I assumed my estrogen would be higher than 99, which is what it was last time. They like to see it 150 or above.

Well, it wasn't higher. In fact, despite my higher dosage, it was pathetically lower. Only 44. 44! How could that be??? I almost cried on the phone with the nurse, but she was short with me and not helpful. I went to K's house and it was good to see her and to go to the RESOLVE support group, but I was distressed all night long. I cried and yelled at B several times on the phone (he was still out of town; he came home very late last night/early this morning).

After a much interrupted night of sleep, due to B coming in at 5 am, the cat's usual nonsense, and my inability to fall back asleep due to nerves, I couldn't take it anymore at 1 pm and finally emailed Dr. F. He reassured me by writing: "Thank you for your message.  I am sorry that the test result yesterday upset you so.  Yes, it was a bit lower than expected, based on your pattern of response not so long ago, but certainly there also are fluctuations and variations from cycle to cycle.  Please understand that the whole purpose of the day 4 estrogen level is to afford us an early opportunity to intervene and adjust where necessary to optimize your overall response to stimulation.  Needless to say, I will look forward to seeing what your visit reveals tomorrow, but I honestly believe that the likelihood of recommending a cycle cancellation tomorrow is very small.  I fully expect your estrogen level to rise significantly and will be quite surprised if it does not. 
I hope that this information is helpful to you.  I look forward to seeing the outcome of your visit tomorrow." [my emphasis added]

So I calmed down after that. I just keep repeating to myself, "the likelihood of recommending a cycle cancellation tomorrow is very small." That has to be my mantra if I am going to get any sleep tonight and not have a total stomach ache when I get up in the morning. Luckily, my appointment is at 7:30 am, so I don't have long to wait.

In other news, K's beta doubled! She is really pregnant! I am so happy and relieved for her. This IVF thing really does work for some people....

No comments:

Post a Comment