Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Two Week Wait: Week One



Last time I wrote was Trigger Day. All went fine with triggering, and I had no nausea the way I did the first time. I did have some mild cramping all day Wednesday, but no big deal.

Thursday was retrieval. We got there bright and early, 7:30 am. I was excited and anxious, ready to be done with the monitoring phase of the cycle and eager to hear how many of the possible 7 eggs I would have retrieved.

For some reason, though, I was much more nervous than in the past. The retrieval room was much scarier than my old clinic's. As much as I didn't like my old clinic, they had a great set-up in their IVF suite. They had dim lights, the room was warm, and they played soft music to help calm the patient. At my new clinic, not so much. They started the anti-nausea drip in my IV, which made me extremely dizzy. Not in a bad way, it was almost fun  :)  but it was a little disconcerting. Anyway, the actual room was NOT warm and fuzzy the way my old clinic's room had been. It was bright white, sterile, and COLD. As I got on the table, my knees were knocking like crazy. They also could have waited a minute longer for the amnesia drugs to kick in. They inserted the speculum, which doesn't hurt but is never fun, and that is the last thing I remember.

Apparently I slept for a while afterwards. When I woke up, the nurse told me and B that they had retrieved 6 eggs. I was groggy and tired, but happy enough with that number. We went home and I slept much of that day.

The next day, I got bad news. Out of my 6 eggs, only 5 were mature. Okay, that was fine. But here is the bad part, that even the Fellow warned me I would not like: although we used ICSI, I only had TWO fertilize. TWO. That is really no better than any of my other cycles.
Cycle One: Six eggs retrieved, 1 fertilized normally, 1 fertilized late
Cycle Two: Four eggs retrieved, 2 fertilized with ICSI
Cycle Three: Six eggs retrieved with 5 mature, 2 fertilized with ICSI

ICSI typically should fertilize anywhere between 60-80%. With me, I've now had 50% and this time I had 40%. Pathetic! Why was I pumping myself full of drugs, going through a scary medical procedure, and then having ICSI totally fail me, with no more embryos than I've ever achieved before. So, so disappointing. I don't know how many times I cried on Friday.

But we went in on Sunday as planned. Upon arriving, I did acupuncture. I was told that my two embryos were ready to go. They were both, sadly, only 4 cells. By day three, they should be 6-8 cells. The fragmentation was 75% and 25%. That first number is bad. Low implantation potential. The second number is okay, pretty good, pretty average from what I have read.

I came home Sunday, so sad and disappointed. I had really hoped that a new clinic and a new protocol was going to bring better results. I had to ask for a Valium on Sunday for the transfer, because my nerves were so shot and I was so anxious and sad.

However, upon closer examination of the photos on Sunday, I did start to feel a bit better. My embryos are only 4 cells, but one of them looks much cleaner and crisper, with less fragmentation that any of the other embryos from previous cycles.

So, I'm still sad, and we've decided that we won't try a 4th cycle if this one doesn't work. We just feel that we have a quality/quantity problem and a fertilization problem to boot. Who knows if it's my egg quality that prevents the sperm from coming in, or if there is a serious sperm issue. It doesn't matter, but what it means is that we don't make good embryos. And we've tried two clinics and two protocols, one which all three doctors I interviewed back in October had recommended. I think we are at the end of the rope here.

So, I am hoping that one of these embryos is nestling in, but ultimately I realize that the chances are not very good. I have cried and grieved so many times, and I have to get off this crazy bus.

For that reason, we've talked about adoption, and how we think that is the next step. We don't want to wait too long before pursuing it either. I want a baby, I've already waited over two years, and I want my heart to heal. I do not think remaining childless is going to get any easier.

Life feels so unfair right now. Why am I surrounded by babies, and even my IVF friends have mostly all become pregnant this year too? I am sure my friend B's cycle right now is going to result in pregnancy and I will be happy for her, but I can't deny it will hurt. It's hard not to feel like a double failure: a pregnancy failure, and now a three-times IVF failure.

I have done everything I can do. All I can do is wait and hope now, and temper that hope with realism. March 9th, you will be here soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment