Wednesday, March 20, 2013

More Research on Donor Egg Options


Here is a summary of what I have found out. In the past I have not used identifying information for clinics, but at this point I am sharing it, in case this helps anyone else out there:

Shady Grove (in Maryland):
They have four programs for donor egg. You can split one woman's egg between three recipients, two recipients, or keep them all yourself. Their success rates are good, at 46-47%, though the chances of having frozens left over varies depending on the option you choose. Their chart explains it all. Prices are $14K for the 1/3 program for just one cycle, or $30,500 for up to six cycles and a 100% refund if no pregnancy. This is the option we are leaning towards- splitting three ways but paying double to have the six cycles and refund. The 1/2 program is $18K for one cycle, or $39K for the six cycle refund program. The 1/1 option is $29K or $55K for the refund. They guarantee a minimum of 4 mature eggs per cycle. They also offer a frozen cycle through Donor Egg Bank USA. I don't have price info but they say it's similar to the 1/2 cycle cost.  I think if I did frozens I would just go to the place in Atlanta, which has a higher success rate with frozens. 

My Egg Bank (in Atlanta) (part of RBA):
This might be the one I am leaning towards. It's $16,500 for one cycle, but we are interested in their guarantee/refund plan which offers up to 5 cycles or your money back and is $30K. It would mean staying in Atlanta for 5-6 days (they have deals on hotels). Since all the eggs are frozen, you can start anytime you want. They guarantee a minimum of 6 mature eggs per cycle. Their success rates are impressive to me, at 60% for SET and 70% for two embryo transfer. I want to find out the % of people who have frozens left over, in comparison to Shady Grove's numbers. 

Carolina Conceptions (in Raleigh):
They are local which is easier, and have a good success rate between the other two clinics- at 57.1% according to SART figures. They have around 50 donors so a smaller pool, but no wait because many are ready to go. The last weekend of each month they offer a free look at the donor database (check their website). It costs around $15K for 1 cycle split between 2 recipients. It costs $25-29K for a cycle not shared. You get a 3/4 refund if the donor backs out, and $3K back if no embryos are available for transfer due to egg quality issues (the numbers are higher for the non-shared cycle). They do not have a refund program, so we are not going to go with them. 

Duke:
They have great success rates, the best of all options: 68.4% according to SART. But they told me a one and a half year wait. I cannot wait that long so I'm not pursuing this option.

International egg donor options:
Ummm. I have found plenty about going to Cancun and doing it for cheap, but this scares me. I wish I knew someone who had done it. 

Private agency for egg donors:
A friend through the RESOLVE group did this- she worked with a private agency and then did the process all at Duke. I don't know much about this, but she chose it because she wanted a non-anonymous donation- she wanted her potential child to be able to contact the donor when s/he turns 18. I am meeting with her for coffee on Friday and will get more details. She got 11 embryos but is unhappy because only 3 were great quality. She chose to freeze them because she had some other health issues pop up- not sure about the details. She told me if she could do it again, she'd go with the Atlanta place, though I don't know any more than that. Will get more info Friday.

The questions I still want to ask of the two finalists and compare the answers (Shady Grove and Atlanta frozens): 
  1. How much info do we get about the donor? Atlanta said 20-25 page PDF including genetic info, and baby photos, but what else? If there are future health concerns, can the donor be contacted by the clinic? Update: I checked with RBA and they said yes, they keep the donors on file and as long as their contact info remains the same, they can contact them if anything were needed in the future. Their contract also points out that laws may change in the future regarding privacy, and recipients may be allowed to find out more info in the future if legal details were to be amended. 
  2. If we miscarry or have to terminate, does the refund apply? I read somewhere that success is considered a live baby so miscarriage/termination is included, but I can't remember where I read that, or for which clinic. Update: Yes, both refer to "live birth" so you can try again until then or until you meet the maximum of 5 (RBA) or 6 (Shady Grove) cycles. 
  3. I'd like to know the % of 5 day versus 3 day transfers, and twinning rates? Update: SG has complex charts to show this, but basically, from 2% if you do a SET on day 5 to 46% if you do a double blast transfer on day 5. RBA has about a 45% twin rate but if I did the guarantee program, I would feel less pressured to do a 3 day or a double transfer so I would hopefully be able to avoid twins.
  4. I want to compare chances of having frozens left over with a successful cycle?
That's the info I have gathered so far. My goal is to make a decision in the next month and be on our way to making a baby by my 33rd birthday at the end of June. Moving ahead! 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello ! I'm interested to know which option you chose since I'm looking for Shady Grove egg donor programm... Congradulations for your son !! rubypro56@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete