Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Lupron: Day 1 (CD 21)

This morning, at 8:15 am, I opened a vial of Lupron, grabbed a diabetic needle, and poked it into my belly. And so it begins.

This is the third time I have been on Lupron. I was on it in March 2012 for the cycle of IVF that I never got to do (had surgery for my endometriosis instead), June 2012 (IVF cycle #1), and September 2012 (IVF cycle #2). For IVF cycle #3, we didn't use Lupron. This time, I'm using it to suppress my menstrual cycle in preparation for a donor egg cycle. Hopefully the one and only cycle I'll need to do to finally have a baby.

Lupron is a small needle, and painless. Whereas I had B do my big shots for IVF, this one I prefer to do myself. Pop my breakfast into the toaster, pop a needle in my tummy. What a way to start the day.

In actuality, I'm happy to be doing this. It means I'm beginning my donor egg cycle and moving ever closer to  transfer and perhaps a pregnancy. It's only been two months since I failed my third IVF so in many ways I am moving very quickly, but time also seems to be dragging. It's still 4-5 weeks till I will go down to Atlanta, and another 2 weeks till I will get results. One of the many unfair things about using ART to get pregnant is that normal women have 12 chances a year to try. With IVF and other ART, everything takes so long. I mean, I haven't had a chance to have a positive since early March, and it will be late June before I have another, assuming this cycle goes okay. Using assistance just takes forever, and patience has never been my strong suite.

BTW, I spoke with my doctor on Friday and he agreed that it's not necessary for me to get the scratch biopsy. Since I haven't had implantation failures before (just crappy embryos), I'm not really the population that has been studied and seen an improvement in. So, I'll reconsider if this cycle fails, but for now, that is one less thing to stress about.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck! I start Lupron shortly here, too and I agree--it's exciting to finally be in a cycle. To start a new kind of waiting, way better than waiting for a cycle to begin. I wish you the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, if you are starting Lupron soon, then maybe we'll be cycling at the same time :)

    ReplyDelete