Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Protocol, Schedule, and Scary Medical Procedure Doubts

I'm happy to report that we spoke with the genetic counselor yesterday, and she said there is no real concern about the donor's abnormal gene variant. B has already had one test that shows he does not have the same abnormal gene variant, and we're getting him tested again to be sure, but since the chances are near zero, we're moving ahead as planned.

On Tuesday, I start Lupron shots in the morning. Lupron is a drug that prevents ovulation. It basically shuts down the reproductive cycle. The first time I was on it, I became very irritable, tired, and had hot flashes. I did not experience these so much the second time, so I think it can vary (and who's to say what is stress-induced and/or psychosomatic, and what is real?).

I stay on Lupron for two weeks or until I get my period, and then I let the nurse know. If it doesn't come in 14 days (which it might not, with my wacky long cycles), then I'll need bloodwork and an ultrasound to make sure I am suppressed.

Once I've gotten my period, I will start the Vivelle estrogen patches. I'll stay on the Lupron, but at a half dose. I'll start taking baby aspirin. I'll continue these three medications for 14 days, and I'll have an ultrasound to check my lining.

On day 15, I'll start doxycycline pills, to reduce any chance of infections, and Medrol pills, a steroid which is supposed to help prevent the body from rejecting the embryo. We'll travel to Atlanta this day.

On day 16, B will give his sperm and also the eggs are thawed, and the fertilization magic will hopefully happen. I'll start Crinone, which is progesterone. I'll continue the other medications. He goes home and I just hang out in Atlanta.

On day 19 or 21, I'll have the transfer! Then we hope and pray that the embryo decides to stick around.

One thing that I am currently agonizing over is whether or not to do a scratch biopsy, or endometrial biopsy. This is something the doctor recommends but does not require, and which I am absolutely terrified of having done. I had really bad experiences with both the HSG and the saline hydrosonogram, almost passing out both times from the pain. Not everyone has pain this extreme, but many women do, judging from my conversations with other patients and from some online forums (of course not from the doctors and nurses- they say, oh just take an Advil, you'll have some slight discomfort- LIARS). The reason it is recommended is because studies (like this one) have shown it to increase implantation rates among women with previous implantation failure. However, an important caveat is that there is only evidence to show this is significant in women WITH previous implantation failure. Although I have had 3 IVFs, I have never put a good quality embryo in. So, I would not characterize myself as a previous implantation failure case. Why go through a painful procedure (and not cheap, I'm sure) when we don't know that I have any problem with implantation at all? On the other hand, going down to Atlanta is not a casual thing, and if this could help, I would do it. Sigh. I'm just not sure, but the doctor is calling me today or tomorrow to talk about it.

I wish I could just be happy, but there's always something new to agonize over. On the whole, this just seems really unfair. Other people have sex- yes! they really do just get pregnant from SEX- and ta-dah, they make a baby. I have to pay tens of thousands of dollars and maybe undergo ANOTHER super painful procedure??? Life is so unfair sometimes.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you! The HSG and saline sonohistogram were both super painful for me, too. I have not been approached about the endometrial biopsy but I have friends at another clinic who do it as part of their protocol... I am curious about it but not sure if it's needed (I am the definition of poor implantation rates...) I did, by the way, hear that it goes beyond "uncomfortable." (Argh, why must they lie to us? "slight discomfort" = painful!) Congrats on starting meds! That's so exciting to inch closer to the transfer day.

    ReplyDelete