Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Ends and Beginnings

Last IVF cycle, back in February, my 97 year old grandma was not doing well, and we thought it might be the end. My mom sent me this email:

End of life is a very difficult thing.  I am hoping that the end of my mother's life will coincide with the start of my granchild's life.  Wouldn't that be a fitting gift of the cosmos? Did you know that you were conceived on my 32 birthday?  That is a cosmic gift too.

Well, my granny pulled through, and when I saw her in April, she was doing okay. But today she died, after a bout of pneumonia following a broken hip. We didn't know it would happen so quickly, although she hasn't been strong for awhile and her dementia was getting worse and worse.

I am glad that my mom was there with her when she passed away, though sad that my mom had to be alone for this. My aunt and uncle were on the way from New York but this happened before they got there. I had just been talking to my mom this morning about whether and when I should come up, since the funeral will be later this summer when we can take her ashes up to the gravesite in New Jersey. But then she passed away before we expected, and now she is gone.

I am at work, but finding it hard to focus on any work, between this and my beta test in less than 48 hours. I know there is no connection between most things, but my mind went back to what my mom had written to me in February. Maybe the cosmos finally will send a gift our way.

No comments:

Post a Comment