Monday, June 10, 2013

Lining Blues

This morning was my checkup at my local clinic, to make sure my uterine lining was of a sufficient thickness to encourage an embryo to want to stick around. It was 7 mm, which is slightly less than ideal. They really want to see 8 or above.

I've had thin linings in other cycles, though in my last cycle it was good. So I'm not sure how much I should be freaking out or not right now. My clinic in Atlanta wants me to go back and have it measured again on Thursday, before we leave for Atlanta. There is the possibility of delaying our cycle- and therefore our trip- if my lining has gotten thinner. The nurse seemed to indicate that if it's still at 7, that's okay (though they'd like to see it improve).

Just what I need- more stress and another $150 doctor bill. I don't even care about the money, it's the stress that bothers me more. What if this cycle gets delayed? I'd be really bummed if have to push things back. I do want to be home for my birthday and any delays will make that not happen.

This study is small, but seems to indicate it doesn't matter if the lining is under 8 mm. But commonly accepted practice is to try to get it to 8 or above.

There is plenty of junk on the internet about ways to increase it, but I don't believe them (more sex? soak feet in hot water? yeah right to both of those- I doubt they have anything to do with my endometrial lining). I'll just keep doing my estrogen patches and drink lots of water and hope and pray for good news on Thursday. Sigh. It's never easy, is it?


4 comments:

  1. Oh man, that stinks. I hope the patches do the trick. I have never heard of soaking feet in hot water! That's kind of nutty! Try fish oil... I take one in the morning and one at night, Nordic Naturals Ultra Omega or something like that. Lemon flavored. They have them in the grocery store here... I swear it helps me, which doesn't mean it is actually helpful. But not harmful, and worth a try maybe? I'll be thinking of a nice plush lining for you and have my fingers crossed for THursday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jess. I'm up to 4 patches now and hoping that does the trick. I am also drinking tons of water, though I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. My husband takes fish oil. I'm a vegetarian so I need to consider how I feel about trying it. I have been feeling okay, though today my pants won't button due to some medication-induced bloating! I think I better switch back to dresses and looser clothes from now on! Hope you are feeling well and excited too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, yes, the bloating. I am definitely feeling puffy myself...I'm a little terrified of the state of my belly once the PIO comes into play! Thank goodness it's almost summer and I can wear sweats all I want pretty soon. I wonder what it is about the fish oil, if it's the omega 3s or something else (DHA maybe?)? You can get omega 3s from nuts like walnuts and I think avocados, too. No source with a face needed! :) Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, so puffy! I never had this happen from IVF so I don't know what's different- a month of Lupron or the additional estrogen? I am wearing a dress today but even the sash is bothering me, so now I am walking around with it untied. Thank goodness tomorrow is my last day at work for a week and a half!
    I ate a whole bunch of walnuts with my dinner last night. Thanks for the tip. Will seek out some avocados later. Some of my favorite foods, so it's a good excuse to indulge.
    Good luck to you! Hope the retrieval is getting close.

    ReplyDelete